Friday, February 17, 2006
My Top 20: Coin No.8: Alexander Jannaeus 103-76 BC
(The house of the Maccabees)
1. The right of the Jews to mint their own coinage, First King to do this
2. Dynasty started after revolt against Antiochus IV and ended with Pompey capturing Jerusalem in 63 BC
3. Note the anchor (the injunction against making a graven image)
4. Ugly coins, the bronze prutahs are often referred to as ‘widows mites’.
5. The origin of Maqqba (Aramaic for ‘the hammerer’ although one school of thought says it is a mnemonic for Mi Chomocha Boalim Adonai.
6. See the Victorian brooch made from a ‘widow’s mite’